Friday, April 24, 2009

Retail Therapy

I went to Sephora the other day for some retail therapy, since I don’t like shopping for clothes since I’ve eaten myself into a two ton Tessie. Anyway, I got some nice new stuff that I really liked.

I tend to quit wearing make up when I don’t feel so good about myself. So I’m trying to care what I look like etc, so the new colors that are out for spring were very enticing and I found great satisfaction in selecting new colors, powders and gloss and picked up some staple products as well, (Mascara, foundation etc). I felt like a new me when I put the new product on in the morning.

So, my husband (who is a total sweetie and this is totally out of character for him) picks me up after work yesterday. I say, hey, do you like the new make up that I picked out? He’s like, yeah, you look ok. I’m like, oh, just what every girl wants to hear, you look ok!!! I was laughing, and his reply… What do you want me to do, lie and say you look great? Whaaa Whaaaa. He wasn’t joking, it was not malicious and he wasn’t agitated, it was one of those moments of unbridled honesty that usually come from small children, and occasionally adults when they let their guard down. He of course then tried to back peddle and say nice things and dug himself further and further into a hole.

I guess the moral of the story was, the old me would have been crushed by this, but now it didn’t even really bother me. I guess that is the trade off, when I was at my youngest, prettiest and thinnest, I was two insecure to appreciate what I had. Now that I have lost all of that stuff, I have the confidence to not care.

I am working on the fitness aspect of my appearance, I am working on eating heathier. So far it has been working. It's not an easy thing but it's obviously necessary.

1 comment:

Her_Who_Is_Me said...

Love your writing. I totally understand. Retail therapy is the best.